Purpose: Obtain arterial blood sample for laboratory analysis.
- Perform Allen test to assess collateral circulation before performing arterial puncture on radial artery. Apply pressure over radial and ulnar arteries to obliterate blood flow; hand should blanch. Release pressure over ulnar artery; a flushing color indicates adequate collateral circulation. Failure to flush is a negative result meaning that radial artery not be used, and other arm should be tested. If Allen test is negative in both arms, choose alternative site for arterial puncture.
- Clean site with 70% isopropyl alcohol; allow to dry.
- Attach 20-gauge needle to a syringe containing .02 ml of heparin insert needle at 45-60 degree angle into skin directly over where artery is palpable.
- Draw 3 to 5 ml of blood, remove needle, and apply pressure to puncture site for 3-5 min (15 min if patient is on anticoagulant theraphy).
- Expel air bubbles if present, place cap on syringe and gently rotate to mix blood and heparin.
- Place arterial blood on ice and immediately take to laboratory for analysis. On laboratory slip, indicate amount of oxygen administration and/or any mechanical ventilation.
COMMON BLOOD COLLECTION TUBES
COLOR TOP ------ ADDITIVE ------- PURPOSE
Red ------------- None --------Allow blood sample to clot. Permit separtion of serum when the serumneed to be tested.
Light Blue ------- Sodium Citrate --Prevents blood sample from clottingwhen plasma needs to be tested
Green --------- Heparin ----- Prevents blood sample from clotting when plasma need to be tested.
Purple --------- EDTA ------ Prevents blood sample from clotting e.g Hematology, CBC, Platelet Count
Red and Black
speckled or gold ---- Inert Silicon gel ---- Separates red cells and serum after centrifuging
Gray ---------- Sodium floride oxalate---- Prevents glycolysis of blood sample e.g. Glucose, lactore tolerance
Article copyright NurseReview.org - #1 source of information to update nurses all over the world. All rights reserved. No part of an article may be reproduced without the prior permission.