Situation: Intrapartal Nursing Care
1. In the delivery room, Mrs. Oro Is 10 cm. Dilated- and the head is fast emerging. Her attending physician has not yet arrived. The initial action the nurse must take after the head emerges is:
a. Support the head while the rest of the body is spontaneously delivered.
b. Push down on the fundus to help expel the infant.
c. Call the doctor STAT
d. Deliver the shoulder by turning the presenting part to internal rotation.
2. As labor progresses satisfactorily, it would be appropriate to administer pain medication with cervical dilatation of:
a. 4 cm.
b. 3 cm.
c. 5 cm.
d. 7 cm.
3. Mrs. Oro is kept informed of the, progress of her delivery, the nurse anticipates the placenta to be delivered within what period of time following delivery
a. 10-15 minutes
b. 3-10 minutes
c. 15-20 minutes
d. 1-3 minutes
4. Several minutes after the delivery, the placenta is still intact. The nurse will do which of these actions?
a. Push gently, but firmly on the fundus
b. Call the nursing supervisor for help
c. Allow the infant to suck on the breast
b. Initiate separation by gently pulling on the cord.
5. The placenta has been delivered and the nurse now adds the medication ordered to the i.V. solution which is:
6. The nurse is giving health education to Felicity about discomfort of pregnancy. Which of the following conditions is brought about by increased absorption of phosphorus?
a. Back pain
b. Leg cramps
7. The nurse was Instructed to watch out for the occurrence of norma! physiologic changes of pregnancy. Which of the following is usually observed during pregnancy?
a. Increased BP
d. Blurred vision
8. Which of the following is TRUE about latent stage of tabor?
b. effacemant 100%
c. dilatation for 2 hours
d. 3 cm cervical dilatation
9. What is the term that refers to menopausal stage of women?
a. cessation of menstruation
b. onset of'menstruation
c. excessive menstruation
d. intermittent menstruation
10 What structure of the body is responsible for the production of follicle-stimutattng hormone (FSH)?
d. anterior pituitary gland
11. A primigravida asks the nurse, "When will I fee! the baby move?" The correct response of the nurse is:
a. 3 mos
b. 5 mos.
c. 4 mos
Situation: Rico. 1 month deliverd via NSVD
12. Mrs. Cadacia observed on Rico's buttocks, a gray color, What do you call this pigmentation in the skin?
b. telangiectatic nevi
c. erythema toxicum
d. mongolian spots
13. How would you define a word, "acrocyanosis?
a. cyanosis of hands and feet.
b. transient mottling when infant is exposed to the temperature.
c. fine, downy hair
d. thin, white mucus
14. How can you assess a child who is mentally retarded?
a. let .the child make story
b. observe for the developmental milestone
c. ask the mother what food the child is eating
d. ask the child to sing
15. What serves as sperm producers?
b. Vas deferens
c. prostate gland
Situation: Pediatric nursing.
16. In what psychosexuai development according to Freud is temper tantrum observed?
17. The baby cries and the mother notices tiny, shiny and white specks on the mouth and hard palate- The mother understood If she states:
a. "it is caused by milk curd
b. I'll use sterile gauzed in removing the crusts."
c. "I'll notify the dentist
d. "prevent infection"
18. The nurse is giving Instruction about neonatal care. Which of the following instruction is most critical?
a. proper feeding
b. provide bathing
c. provide warm clothing
d. prevent infection
19. The mother notices a cheese-like substances in a neonate forehead. She asked the nurse if it can be removed. The appropriate response is:
a. a soft towel and a baby oil can be used to remove the subslance
b. an alcohol and gauzed can removed it
c. it is a protected substance, leave It alone there
d. baby lotion can be used to remove it .
20. A 12-month old boy weighs 9 kgs. His birth weight was 3 kgms. "The mother asks if her baby's weight Is appropriate to his age. The nurse's therapeutic response is:
a. He needs to take more milk for supplement
b. Weight must be doubled during this time
c. Weight is right because weight is tripled at this age
d. He is underweight for this age.
21. At the age of 2 years, which of the following teeth have not been erupted?
22. The mother asks the nurse when will the soft bone at the head be closed? The nurse response would be:
b. 2-3 mos.
c. 12-18 mos.
d. 14-18 wks
23. What is the most appropriate factor in toilet training?
a. age of child
b. developmental readiness of the child
c. available time
d. maternal flexibility
Situation: Medical - Surgical Nursing
24. In what area of the body will be affected by bed sore if the patient maintains supine position?
25. Which of the following can you visualize in intravenous pyelogram (IVP )?
b. bladder and kidney
c. bladder, kidney , ureter
d. bladder and ureter
26. An anesthetic agent which has side effects of confusion and suicidal tendencies;
d. sodium pentothal
27. What instrument is not included in Mayo table?
b. tissue forcep
c. smooth forcep
d. towel forcep
Situation: The adolescent years have the potential to be very exciting as well as a different time for both the child and his parents.
28. As stated by Erikson, the major concern of the adolescent years is the:
a. formation of romantic association
b. attainment of independence '
c. gratification of his needs
d. resolution of the crisis of personal identity
29. Parental actions which can help achieve the goal of adolescent years are all of the following, EXCEPT;
a. permits increasing independence
b. discusses future plans with the adolescent
c. intolerance of .adolescent's need to be liked by peers
d. permits and encourages peer relationships
30. Here are teenagers today who engage In sex without realizing the repercussions of their actions. Witch of the parental response would be appropriate for this problem?
a. Providing regular and open communication
b. Limiting the number of teenager's social activities
c. Inforcing stricter rules and punishment
d. Screening the teenager's company of friends
31. Some of the task of adolescent years include the following, except:
a. developing a personal Identity
b. advicing independence from patients
c. developing relationship with peers
d. unlimited expression of sexual drives
32. Which of the following statements best describe the nutritional profiie of the adolescent?
a. Rapid growth, desires company with meals
b. Rapid growth, eat meals alone
c. Slow but steady growth, poor eating habits
d. Stunted growth, voracious appetite
Situation: You are assigned a Rural Health Unit which is a training area for student nurse, in a conference with the students, questions on the DOH programs such as:
33. The most effective measure of controlling schistosomlasis is;
a. casefinding and prompt treatment of cases
b. provision of sanitary toilets
c. environmental sanitation and environmental control
d. practice of hygiene
34. Rabies virus can be transmitted through:
a. Penetration of broken skin
b. contact with a pre-existing wound or scratch
c. penetration of intact mucosa
d. any of these modes of transmission
35. Which of the followimg statements about- diphtheria is false?
a. Immunity is often acquired through a complete immunization series of Diphtheria
b. infants born to immune mothers maybe protected up to 5 months
c. Diphtheria transmission Is Increased in hospital households, schools and other
d. Recovery from clinical attack is always followed by a lasting Immunity to the
Situation: The following questions pertain to concepts on Community Health Nursing:
36. A logical approach used by the nurse in providing community health and communicable nursing is:
a. problem solving
b. nursing process
c. logical nursing intervention
d. nursing assessment
37. Which of the following statement is wrong:
a. A nursing diagnosis is stated in terms of a problem and not a need
b. A nursing diagnosis describes a patient's health problem
c. A nursing process to the method of data gathering and diagnosing diseases
d. A component of the nursing process that pertains to the organization of data and describes the nursing problem is the assessment
38. Debbie is experiencing dystocia, a painful, difficult and prolonged delivery. The nurse is aware that the primary cause related to problems with all of these Except the.
39. In dystocia, the nurse assessess:
1. contractions dropping intensity and frequency
2. progress of labor
3. vagina! exam
4. abdominal palpation and fetal position
a. 1,2 and 3
b. 1,2,3 and 4
c. 2,3 and 4
d. 1,3, and 4
40. The nursing intervention that Is most important in a patient on IV Morphine?
a. Monitor for hypertension
b. Monitor for decreased respiratlons
c. Monitor for cardiac rates
d. Monitor for hyperglycemia
Situation: A clinical instructor, Mrs. Romero is giving a pre-test on Psychiatric Nursing to third year nursing students.
41. The fundamental concepts in Psychiatric nursing is seeing the patient as a whole organism with distinct personality. The nurse should:
a. Respect the patient's moral values
b. Avoid labeling the patient as psychiatric entity
c. Understand the patient's family background
d. Uphold the patients right to make decisions
42. On crisis intervention, one of the important personal qualities . that can enhance the nurse's effectiveness is:a. Friendliness
43. A technique In crisis intervention which 'involves using the clients emotion and values to his own benefit in the therapeutic regmen Is known as:
b. reinforcement of behavior
d. Support defense
44. Family therapy is the treatment of choice in one of the following situatlons:
a. There is a need to uncover repressed feelings and concerns of the clients
b. There is a need to promote an environment adaptive to the individual client's needs
c. The primary problem Is related to marital conflict or sibling rivalry
d. The client requested for this type of therapy
Situation - This pertains to Intrapartum Care.
45. True labor contraction Is best described by this discomfort that:
a. starts over the fundus, radiating downward to the cervix
b. radiates upward and downward from the umbilicus
c. Is localized over the fundus of the uterus
d. begins In the lower back and the abdomen radiating over entire abdomen
46. The nurse performs vaginal exams on a laboring woman and records this data is correctiy Interpreted as:
a. fetal presenting part is 1 cm. above the ischlal spines
b. cervical dilatation is 25% completed
c. progress of effacement is 5 cm. completed
d. fetal presenting part is 1 cm below the ischial spines
47.Monitoring the progress of labor in'the delivery room is a standard activity. The. nurse prioritizes her work load by recognizing that a nulliparous mother in the first stage of labor would expect these;
a. Latent phase is completed less than 20 hours
b. Maximum slope averages 4 to 5 hrs
c. Acceleration phase is 6 to 8 hours
d. Transition phase lasting no longer than 4 hours.
Situation - Growth and development is a human cycle with milestone to achieve. 48- Based on Erikson's theory, the primary developmental task of the middle years is:
a. to attain independence
b. to achieve generativity
c. to establish heterosexual relationship
d. to develop a sense of personal identity
49. Early adult age Is partlcular!y focused on achieving
a. independence from parental control
b. greater stability and life style
c. greater stability and life style
d. self-direction and self-appraisal
50. These are characteristics of a mature person, except;
a. practical and ambitious
b. accountable and responsible for his actions
c. feels comfortable with himself
d. acknowledges strengths and weaknesses .
51. The group at greatest risk for unmet needs is:
a. the very young and the very old
b. all age groups
c. the poor and the very rich
d. the adult and the aged
Situation -At the health center, the nurse conducts a, nutrition class, very lively question and answer prevailed in this group meeting-
52.Amy, a pregnant mother from a sectarian group strictly adheres to a. vegetarian diet. The vitamin supplement the nurse recommend Is
b. Vit B12
c. Vit D
d. Vit. A
53. For point of clarification a patient asks for the importance of Folic Acid in pregnancy. The nurse explains that vitamin is especially needed during pregnancy as it:
a. assists in growth of heart and lungs
b. helps in coagulation of red blood cells
c. is essential for cell and RBC formation
d. helps in maternal circulation
54. In this mother's class, the nurse discusses about: specific needs during pregnancy and lactation, She states that the daily servings required for the carbohydrates group are:
a. 4 servings
b. 6 servings
c. 2 servings
d. 3 servings
Situation - Charito de Lapaz, a PHN, is discussing with the mothers the different herbal medicines used In the community.
55. It is effective for asthma, cough, and dysentery:
a. Yerba Buena
56. lt is an anti-edema, diuretic and anti-urolithiasis.
57. Its seeds are taken 2 hours after supper to expel round worms, which can cause ascariasis;
58. It is effectively used for mild non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.
c. Ulasimang Bato
59. The following are true in the preparation of herbal medicines, EXCEPT:
a. Avoid the use of Insecticides as may poison on plants
b. Stop giving the medication in case reaction such as allergy occurs
c. Use only the part of the plant being advocated
d. Use a day pot and cover while boiling at low heat.
Situation - Leo Leon, a carpenter has been complaining of headache for 2 days. his wife, a trained BHW used the acupressure technique on Leo to relieve Mm of his discomfort.
60. Acupressure was started same 5.000 years ago by:
Situation - In a mother class, several topics are discussed. Questions 15 to 20 pertain to these
61. According to the goals of Reproductive health, all are true, EXCEPT:
a. Every pregnancy should be Intended
b. Every birth be healthy
c. Every woman should be g|ven a condom to protect herself from pregnancy and other STDs
d. Every sex should be free or coercion and infection
62. It is record used when rendering prenatal care in the community,
a. Prenatal record
b. Home Based mother's record
c. Pink Card
d. Mother's book
63. Which of the following is given to the pregnant woman?
c. iodized oil capsule
d. All of the above
64 All of the following should be observed in home deliveries, EXCEPT:
a. Clean hands
b. Clean sheets
c. Clean cord
d. Clean surface
65. What is the major cause of maternal death?
c. Prolonged labor
d. Retained placenta
66. The first postparturn should be done when:
a. After 48 hours
b. After 24 hours
c. After 3 days
d. Within 24 hours .
Situation: The following questions are Included In the review of EPI
67. It provides for compulsory basic immunization for infants and children below 8 years of age;
a. Presidential proclamation N.773
b. Republic Act 7846
c Presidertial Decree No, 996
d. Presidential Proclamation No.147
68. The vaccine should be given on:
a. 1 month
b. 6 months
c. 3 months
d. 9 months
69. How much Vit A should be given to 6-11 months old Infants who is experiencing Vit. A deficiency?
a. 200,000 IU
b. 400.000 IU
c. 100,000 IU
d. 50,000 IU
70. Micronutrient supplementation is included In what program of the DOH?
a. Expanded program on Immunization
b. Reproductive Health
c. Araw ng Sangkap Pinoy
d. Sentrong sigla
Situation - Communicabie Diseases are most prevalent in Brgy, Problemado, a group of PHN went to the area to disseminate necessary information regarding early detection, control and cure of the different communicable diseases.
71. It is the name for a comprehensive strategy which primary health services around the world is using to detect and cure TB patients.
a. National TB program
b. Direct Observe Treatment Short Course (DOTS)
c. center for Communicable diseases
d. international TB control Organization
72. All but one is the early sign of leprosy:
b. Nasal obstruction or bleeding
c. Change In skin color
d. Ulcers that do not heal
73. Leprosy can be transmitted through
d. Prolonged skin to skin contact
74. The best method of prevention of TB and leprosy esp. among children is:
a. Taking INH for prophylaxis
b. Healthy environment
c. Good nutrition
d. BCG immunization
75. What is the host of schistosoma japonlcum?
76.The drug cf choice for schistosomiasis:
d. Quinidine Suifale
Situation - Ella Caidic Is pregnant with her first baby. She went to the clinic for check-up
77. According to Mrs. Caidic, her LMP is November 15, 2002. Using the Naegele's rule what is her EDC
a. August 22, 2003
b. July 22, 2003
c. August 18, 2003
d. February 22, 2003
78. She Is so concerd about the development of varicose veins, which of the statement below indicates a need for further education?
a. "I should wear support hose"
b. '"I should be wearing flat, non-slip shoes that have an arch support
c. "I should wear a pantyhose"
d. I can wear knee-high as long as I don't leave them on longer than 8 hours
79. She complained of leg cramps, winch usually occurs at night. To provide relief, the nurse must telI Mrs. Caidic to:
a. dorsiftex the foot white extending the knee when the cramps occur
b. dorsiflex the foot whiie flexing the knee when the cramps occur.
c. Plantar flex the foot while flexing the knee when cramps occur
d. plantar flex the foot while extending the knee when the cramps occur.
Article copyright NurseReview.org - #1 source of information to update nurses all over the world. All rights reserved. No part of an article may be reproduced without the prior permission.